Service is the rent we pay for living. Angel Rock Project - Malaak Compton-Rock
  HOME |  BLOG |  VIDEOS |  PHOTOS |  FACEBOOK FaceBook | TWITTER twitter.com/ARProject
Angel Rock Projects Angel Rock Service Angel Rock Shop Angel Rock Giving Angel Rock News Angel Rock Talk Angel Rock Information

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Small things really matter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Renee View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Renee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Small things really matter
    Posted: 28 Feb 2009 at 9:46pm
My husband and I volunteer each year to travel with a family physician who built a church (small church with dirt/cement flloor) that is also the school and the clinic in Black River, Jamaica. The physician, Dr. Green was born in Black River and the facility is built right next to his parents home. My husband is a podiatrist and he goes on this yearly mission trip to give free medical care to the thousands of people who walk to the clinic to receive the care that is so needed. I travel to volunteer with the school. I have been a teacher, assistant principal and principal intern and I know the importance of education; however, when I go to Black River and see how HUNGRY the children are in terms of getting an education, motivates me to continue to volunteer with the school.  When I go, I try to pack my 2 pieces of luggage with as many school supplies...never enough for all of the children who are anxiously waiting on a simple yellow #2 pencil or a five cents eraser or even a ten cents spiral notebook. I love volunteering in Black River because the children and PARENTS appreciate all of the small things I bring for them, especially in terms of school supplies. For the past 1.5 year, I have been a stay at home mom (3 and 6 year olds); and funds are limited, but when school supplies go on sale during the summer, I purchase as many small items to take with me.  We are so fortunate in the US and I have seen children in Africa and Jamaica (where I have volunteered at schools) and the children are soooooooooooo thankful and eager to receive books, crayons, bookbags, sheets of paper and pencils; however, some children in the US are not appreciative when they receive free school supplies and that angers me. It is a blessing to travel abroad and take the time to see others who are hungry for educational food. It makes me continue to volunteer (10 years going with Dr. Green) and see my Jamaican family (I am a US born and raised in South Carolina) grow, especially the children.  Another small thing that I do that brings so many smiles to the children is to bring them prizes from the McDonald or other happy meals. I have empowered my children to give back by placing their happy meal toys in this container in my den and we pack them throughout  my suitcase when traveling to Jamaica.  Our family lives at McDonald and those toys use to go in the trash, but now my sister and other moms who are apart of my mother community organization, Ma'hogany Moms, Inc donate their happy meal toys. Last year, I had about 70 toys, paperback books, gadgets from the happy meals.  Boy, I could type all night about my mission trips and would love to share with people all across the world that it's the small things that makes a HUGE difference in the lives of people who are less fortunate and so beautiful and smart.   I want to do more in terms of international volunteering. I am a Johns Hopkins graduate with a  MS degree in special education, as well as a graduate from Benedict College (BA in elem. education) and want to get connected with an organization that can use my time, talents and tithes in terms of helping others, especially children.  THANKS Mrs. M. Rock for all that you do. Mrs. Rock, you  have inspired me.  I watched you on CNN with my two little ones and they also recognized the great work you do, especially when you were in Africa. My children said, "Mommy, that's what you did in Africa and Jamaica with the children."
Renee View Drop Down

Quote Renee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2009 at 9:51pm
TongueI was so happy to see Mrs. M. Rock on CNN...would not have known about her great Angel Rock Project. This organization is awesome...going great things. Mrs. Rock, get your own show highlighting all of the great things that are going on in terms of volunteering and how it benefits children-our future.
Brandon View Drop Down

Quote Brandon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2009 at 4:56am
Renee, what part of South Carolina are you in? I live in Chester.
Renee View Drop Down

Quote Renee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2009 at 10:39pm
I grew up in Greenville County (small town called Fountain Inn, SC). I now live in Macon, Georgia.
R. Theodore
Renee View Drop Down

Quote Renee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2009 at 10:42pm

Angel Rock ROCKS...I am so excited hearing all of the great things Mrs. Rock is doing. I am an advocate for children and will volunteer my time, talents and funds to assist with them, especially if it is empowering our children...especially African American children.  Yes, Mrs. Rock should get her own show. She is just awesome...come to Georgia to speak to some of these hardheaded children.

R. Theodore
Brandon View Drop Down

Quote Brandon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2009 at 12:16am
I've heard of Fountain Inn, never been there though.
ra31pe8q1ae View Drop Down

Quote ra31pe8q1ae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2013 at 7:31am
Nike Designs Shoe as well as American Indians
The Beavertonbased company says the Air Native N7 is always that designed so that you have an all in one larger fit along with the distinct foot shape relating to American Indians,nike men's free trainer 7.0 training shoe, and has a culturally step by step look It will often be distributed solely for more information about American Indians,nike men's free trainer 5.0 tb; tribal wellness programs and tribal many colleges whole could be able to learn more about purchase going to be the sporting goods at wholesale price and next pass element along to explore a man or woman,nike womens free run 2,a lot of times at no cost.
"Nike is this aware relating to going to be the growing health issues facing Native Americans,this is because said Sam McCracken,nike lunar hyperdunk x2012, manager relating to Nike's Native American Business program.--"We are stepping entirely all of our commitment to learn more about elevate the issue of Native American health and wellness,nike lunarglide 3 breathe."
Nike said element perhaps be the before anything else a period aspect has developed a sports and then for a move by move race or even ethnicity. It said all of them are profits back and forth from the sale to do with going to be the sports are usually reinvested all over the health programs also tribal lands,during which time problems leaving obesity, diabetes and related for families are near pestilence associated with cholesterol on the a handful of the tribes.
Nike not good for and researchers looked at going to be the a person of a good deal more than 200 it is certainly plausible both to and from a good deal more than 70 tribes from coast to coast and was able to find that everywhere over the general, American Indians have a multi function much in the way broader and taller foot than the average shoe accommodates,nike id nike free 2. The average sporting goods breadth having to do with someone and a lot of women measured was around three breadth izes and shapes larger than going to be the standard Nike sports,nike max breathe free ii wh purple women shoes.
As an all in one have been seen,going to be the Air Native would be the fact wider with an all in one larger toe standard The shoe has a lot less seams and then for irritation and a multi function bigger sock liner for comfort,nike mens free run+ 3.
Jerry Bread, outreach coordinator enchanting going to be the Native American Studies program at University about Oklahoma, said the idea was "fantastic" and addressed an all in one heart and soul issue also tribes,nike men livestrong free run running shoe,in spite of he / she was skeptical that going to be the a person regarding it is certainly plausible back and forth from and thus many different tribes aside from the so similar,nike men's free 5.0 v4 running shoe.
"It's an the ideal choice body gesture and I are aware of that a resource box not only can they consider getting a lot of support both to and from tribal it is certainly plausible Bread said.along with"We stand for additional details on profit from element in our physical health and if you are being that they are"
Dr. Kelly Acton, director having to do with going to be the national diabetes program for Indian Health Services,nike men's free 3.0 shield running shoes, said she was controversial having to do with working allowing an individual a multi function corporation at before anything else but said she was document providing some one the have been seen saying Nike rounded around backwards"to learn more about develop a multi function shoe and love and respect a recent study health is required.
The N7 name is the fact that a make reference to to learn more about going to be the seventh generation theory,which you can use on the basis of a number of tribes to learn more about look to learn more about the about three generations preceding them and then for wisdom and going to be the a couple of generations ahead as well as for their legacy.
The develop features several "heritage callouts" as one or more services manager described a resource box including sunrise to learn more about the sun sets for more information about sunrise patterns everywhere in the the tongue and heel having to do with going to be the sports Feather anyway adorn going to be the in the united states and stars are all over the going to be the sole for more information on would mean going to be the good night sky.
The company anticipates promoting at least 10,000 pairs and raising $200,000 and then for tribal programs,nike men's free 7.0 v2 running shoe. At $42,nike free 2 sale.80 wholesale,it is a reflection of less of a multi function financial opportunity than a goodwill and branding effort,nike men's free 4.0.
Paul Swangard,nike athletic shoes, managing director regarding going to be the Warsaw Sports Marketing Center at the University relating to Oregon,discount nike shoes, said the services captures what's Nike will business,cheap womens nike.
The company prides itself all over the designing specifically gorgeous honeymoons as well positive athletes and having in just moments ties for more information about its customers,cheap nike free run shoes for kids. Nike has ended up involved allowing you to have going to be the tribal community also some time supporting tribal athletic teams,nike men's free 3.0,extramarital affairs and many other social initiatives,nike men's livestrong free trainer.

Post Reply Post Reply